Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Acute lumbago sciatica

Question
Hello I'm 27 female.
For 3 years I've been struggling with what my doctor calls "acute lumbago/sciatica"
Every so often, while doing just regular day to day activities, I will have a popping sensation in my hip/pelvic area, and the hours that follow will be filled with the worst burning pain I've ever felt in my hip and butt cheeks.
The doctor gives me flexeril and meloxocam and sends me on my way.

My question is why does this keep happening? I'm not an athlete, I'm not doing physical work. The first time it happened I was peeing! I turned to reach behind me and POP.

Do you have any suggestions or insight?

Answer
Dear Kayla,

Acute lumbago/sciatica is a blanket diagnosis when studies have not been done to find the cause of the ailment. Generally, I send my patients to physical therapy. If there is no improvement after 4 weeks, I will get an MRI. However, at your age, I would expect you to improve. If you do not do so already, I would get very active. Physical activity and exercise has been shown to be the number one way to keep the pain away. Walking, Pilates, and yoga will help to strengthen the core and help your back muscles to become stronger while decreasing the risk of "popping out" in the future.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN