Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Arm pain

Question
I am 64 years old and for past few months I have had this pain in my upper left arm that occurs when I stretch it to reach something (for example reaching down into a refrigerator or reaching behind me in a car). It feels sensitive when I am in bed also; I avoid sleeping on it. I can stretch it out in front of me straight with no problem  I am in generally good health; I walk 2 miles a day on a treadmill and I am 6'1" and 190 pounds. Any ideas?

Answer
This sounds like it may be your rotator cuff. During a physical examination, your provider will do tests on the strength of certain muscles. It may be that physical therapy may work, but surgery is sometimes needed. I recommend a visit to your provider.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN