Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Arm pain

I am 64 years old and for past few months I have had this pain in my upper left arm that occurs when I stretch it to reach something (for example reaching down into a refrigerator or reaching behind me in a car). It feels sensitive when I am in bed also; I avoid sleeping on it. I can stretch it out in front of me straight with no problem  I am in generally good health; I walk 2 miles a day on a treadmill and I am 6'1" and 190 pounds. Any ideas?

This sounds like it may be your rotator cuff. During a physical examination, your provider will do tests on the strength of certain muscles. It may be that physical therapy may work, but surgery is sometimes needed. I recommend a visit to your provider.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.