Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/meniscus tear?

I was told I may have torn the meniscus in my knee, by a provider at urgent care. He said it wouldn't cause problems with instability so just recommended rest and ice and to get an MRI. Since then, this was 6 days ago I have noticed I am hyperextending my knee and now my foot and ankle are swollen although there is no pain...does that sound like a meniscus tear or is more going on?

Dear Pam,

If you have not done so already, I would recommend the MRI. The knee is a tricky joint. You may have a meniscal tear, a baker's cyst, or a ligament inflammation. Ice, rest, elevation, and compression with an ace wrap will help with the pain and swelling. The MRI will give you more information for the next steps.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.