Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Cholesterol levels and blood pressure

I just had blood test done. It was later in the day so it was not a fasting. The nurse checked my blood pressure 130/60. Is this OK? I am in my 60's

The lab results shows this:

total cholesterol 306
HDL     110
TRIGY    64
LDL     182

Do I need to be on medication?

Dear Sue,

Cholesterol and other lipids need to be checked fasting. A non-fasting blood sample does not supply any type of valuable information to determine the need for medication or not. Even a cup of black coffee without sugar or cream will alter the levels. I recommend a new blood test that is fasting. This will give a non-altered amount of fatty acids in your blood to determine whether or not medication or dietary changes are necessary.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.