Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/South of the border issues

Question
Hello,
I'm a mid 40's white male who experienced a pretty heavy anal itch last week for 3 days in a row. I feared a parasite, i.e. pinworm etc, but couldn't figure out for the life of me how I would get such a thing since I'm a fairly clean individual showering daily and neither do I travel nor do I bite my fingernails or eat dirt. I checked my stool every time those 3 days and continue to do so and saw nothing to support my previous thought. So I'm puzzled and tentative at having to ask about this. I have no insurance so I can't go to the Dr. It has been 10 days since and I've had no other symptoms except a time or two along the later days of some minor irritation/itch, but nothing to suggest an issue. About 7 yrs ago I had a sigmoidoscopy due to some rectal bleeding. It was determined I was clean internally and it was from irritation due to spicy/peppered foods. I now know that when I spice it up too much, I pay for it down below. But I've never experienced the itching thing before and I was genuinely concerned and at a loss. I almost got some OTC meds for parasite/etc just to eliminate that possibility. Currently, I am fine. No issues. Could it possibly be itching due to irritation? I feel like there has to be a particular cause, but it seems to have passed and I am worrying what if it happens again. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day.

Answer
Dear MJ,

Your problem may be due to irritation if you are experiencing constipation or diarrhea. However, there is something called the "tape test." You can get scotch tape, and first thing in the morning, apply the tape to your anus. If you notice eggs or small white strands, you may have pin worms. It is easier to see the eggs and larva under a microscope, but you may still be able to visualize them. Whether or not there is something over the counter for this, I am not sure.
This procedure needs to be done first thing in the morning or you will not be able to find the eggs or worms.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN