Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/unexplained pain

QUESTION: thank you for being willing to share your expertise and expend your time to help those of us who are seeking information. we are most appreciative.

for three days, i have had a sharp pain in my lower right front side [right above the crease between your body and your leg]...the pain has been unremitting, but i have had NO other symptoms at all!! though it was very painful, i worked strenuously outside all afternoon and took a walk. yesterday afternoon, my right buttocks started to hurt, and then all day and night was in intense spasms. this morning the right buttocks is still very sore and the original pain feels less and duller [albeit the buttocks pain is so intense that i am not sure if that is the reason the original pain feels less]

i have perused the internet and of course, i am more confused than before. also, i have no other symptoms that they list. i feel fine otherwise, but i am completely baffled by this. any ideas of what could be causing this. the pain itself is not of concern to me, as i can endure it, it is the etiology behind it that i am worried about.

thank you for expending your time and energy to address my concerns. i am very grateful for any information you can provide

ANSWER: Dear Sam,

What were you doing the days before the pain started?

QUESTION: thank you for your response and your query

as i wrote initially, i had taken a few strenuous walks up and down a steep hill and on flat land. actually, i think we were outside in the garden doing some weeding and playing. the pain in the groin/abdomen area was sudden onset and sharp and intense.

this continued for 3 painful days, while i just kept on doing what i had to. then all of a sudden, i was out weeding for about 3 plus hours and suddenly my upper buttock was also in severe pain. then for the next 24 hours, i had spasms in the buttocks area, very severe during the night,

i woke up yesterday morning, and the upper buttock is no longer in spasms [i did some suggested exercises from the internet and it did seem to help...nothing like desperately looking for information and help!!!']

i went to bed last night, with the continued pain in the groin area and the buttocks. woke up now in the middle of the night from the groin pain.

i have been worried that this is some serious condition, but when i look at them [appendicitis, etc] there are always other symptoms, which thankfully i have absolutely none

while i am sitting here in pain, i looked up muscle pain, and it seems these two pains can be related????? the good news is that they also list other radiating into leg or leg muscles giving out, and again, i have none of those

do you have any thoughts? i so appreciate you taking the time to read this and hopefully shed some light on its possible etiology. i am so grateful for your consideration.

From your description of the pain and the activities leading up to it, it is most likely groin strain with radiation to the gluteal muscle group. This can include the piriformis muscle. I would recommend continuing the stretching excercises you found on the Internet and follow up with you provider as needed. Based on your past medical history and medication allergies, you may consider over the counter anti inflammatory medications, ice, and moist heat.  

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, APRN

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I have a private practice specializing in adult health and wellness. I can answer questions associated with thyroid disease, cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, muscular aches and pains, cholesterol levels, male/female sexual questions or questions on the sexual organs, gastrointestinal problems, healthy ways to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and nearly anything else that pertains to medicine.

I am on the Medical Staff at a local hospital where I work as a medical/surgical hospitalist as well as in the emergency department. I am certified in critical care and advanced cardiac life support. Prior to becoming a Nurse Practitioner, I was a certified critical care nurse (CCRN).

Society of Hospital Medicine American Association of Critical Care Nurses American Association of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Nurse Practitioner Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Critical Care Certified 2014 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse

Named as a World Wide Leader in Healthcare and was included in the 2013-2014 edition by the International Nurses Association.