Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions/Questions Answered by Expert Diane Chambers

SubjectDate Asked
Insect bite or spider bite7/23/2010
  Q: Sir, In month of Apr my husband had a boil on his left hand and was told by doctor that its becoz of ...
  A: It seems to me this may be an issue for an infectious disease specilaist not a skin specilaist. ...
FREEZING1/4/2009
  Q: I was wondering would you please explain to me: whenever we eat ice cream, how come we get brain ...
  A: "Brain freeze" is the pain sometimes inflicted by devouring something cold like ice cream or a cold ...
high blood pressure1/3/2009
  Q: after a night of drinking my blood pressure jumps up to 150 or over and recently getting hand ...
  A: Without a thought- please go to your physician and relay this message. My reccomendation is this ...
Tingling6/4/2008
  Q: Approximately two weeks ago, while wearing a pair of 3 1/2 inch slip in high heels shoes, i stumbled ...
  A: SOunds as though you may have some residual nerve damage. I am not a physician.....it may have been ...
Head neck injury6/4/2008
  Q: I have a question regarding ortho. I was recently in an auto accident (2.5 months ago). I was ...
  A: It can take several weeks or even months - depending on the injury itself. Since I am not a ...
Swollen Ankle5/6/2008
  Q: Im 30 years old and have suffered from a right swollen ankle since my early 20's although I'm very ...
  A: I have no idea what type of testing that was done to confirm that this is an ankle sprain- however, ...
gas5/3/2008
  Q: Age 69,good health; but for six months, night or day, I have a problem of passing gas. It is not ...
  A: You may want to try activa- it is a yogurt that is designed to aid the digestive system and it ...
Breathing4/29/2008
  Q: I have a few question about breathing. 1. Is breathing voluntary or involuntary control or both? ...
  A: Breathing is involuntary however you can control to some extent the rate and depth of your ...
High CPK and Muscle Soreness4/28/2008
  Q: My parents and I are seeking information about my dad. He has had a high CPK of over 300 for 3 years ...
  A: I am not sure what type of doctor your father is seeing but I qwould suggest having your Dad be seen ...
objects shoved in ears4/15/2008
  Q: My 3 yr old son put a crayon in his ear 2 weeks ago and pulled it back out and had no complaints but ...
  A: Just my personal opinion - I would call the ENT and tell them exactly what the story is- if they ...
baby poop4/15/2008
  Q: doctpr, my question is . I ahve a 15 month son who had problems with acid reflux and lactose ...
  A: First may I start out by saying I am not a doctor. You may want to make sure your child is ...
Bone density tests, metabolism question4/9/2008
  Q: I have Blue Cross Health Options. They are really big on preventative physicals. I was wondering if ...
  A: Bone density studies are usually not considered preventative at this time- mainly because less ...
my 6 year old son has frequent nosebleeds.4/5/2008
  Q: I have a 6 year old son who complains of a headache which is sometimes accompanied by a nose bleed. ...
  A: Sandra, I would be more inclined to take him to an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat ...
bump on pinky side of hand3/25/2008
  Q: My husband has a bump/nodule on the pinky side of his hand. He doesn't remember hitting it or ...
  A: I am not a physician so I can not diagnose- but this may be a form of gout or gouty arthritis- your ...
Hypotension3/20/2008
  Q: Diane, hi-hope you are well. Diane these days I feel very tired, and sleepy, and slow in general. ...
  A: That is entirely too low- low bp is a concern because of blood flow to the brain and this can cause ...
Sprained Ankle3/18/2008
  Q: I have recently badly sprained my left ankle for the 2nd time in 4yrs both times in large swelling ...
  A: Phillip, You may want to try some physical therapy to strengthen the ankle and use an ankle ...
GO AWAY3/10/2008
  Q: I was wondering would you please explain to me: how do we get headaches? Thanks C Barwick
  A: Cameron, Headaches come from several sources- tension, migraine, tumors in the brain- this is too ...
blood in urine3/10/2008
  Q: This past Friday I finally went to my family MD because for the past year I have had reddish colored ...
  A: Could be prostrate problem...I have no idea what type of testing your doctor did- here is some info ...
persistant viral infection3/6/2008
  Q: I've had a viral infection(antibiotics didn't budge it)for over 10 weeks.Now I'm struggling, not ...
  A: Martha, Viral infections are very tough and take a long time to get rid of. Try a heating pad on ...
leg pain and hematoma2/24/2008
  Q: It has been three weeks now since my injury, and I developed a hematoma from it. With this I also ...
  A: I am not a doctor so I can not advise you what medical care to undertake- insurance or not you need ...
Pain in the left hand side of my stomach1/15/2008
  Q: I have a pain in the left hand side of my stomach and its been there for a fews weeks may a ...
  A: Mark, I cannot tell you what you have (I am not a physician) however, I would suggest having a ...
fmla1/6/2008
  Q: I'm out of work on workers comp and my company's policy is that you also take fmla. they stated ...
  A: FMLA- protects your job- worker's comp pays your salary (usually 66 2/3) and is responsible for your ...
Hygiene1/3/2008
  Q: This may be a crazy question, but I use a clean towel every time I bathe or shower. I know some ...
  A: It all depends on what places you dry with the towel. If it possible then using a clean towel is a ...
22 yr old chest pain left side12/22/2007
  Q: I want to start off by thanking you for taking the time to answer some questions that I have about ...
  A: Michael, You are very welcome and I do this because I so much want to help people. It sounds to me ...
cancer and insurance12/21/2007
  Q: I noticed you worked for an insurance company, maybe you can help me. My mother has recurrent ...
  A: Cindy, My thoughts and prayers are with your through this most difficult and trying time. Your mom ...
headache and ct scan12/5/2007
  Q: I've been having headaches now for about 4 weeks. It all started in the back of my head 4 weeks ago ...
  A: The best diagnostic studies are with the dye- if you are allergic to or think you may be allergic ...
Foot Itch11/28/2007
  Q: On and off now for about 6 months I will have an outbreak where my feet will start itching ...
  A: Becky, I have no idea what type of blood tests your doctor's performed or what they were testing ...
internal shiangles11/26/2007
  Q: i have been dianoised with shingles ,ablut a week ago and i still haven't broke out with the rash ...
  A: What is shingles? Shingles (herpes zoster) is a viral infection of the nerve roots. It causes pain ...
SICK11/8/2007
  Q: I was wondering would you please explain to me: why do you feel achy when your sick? Thanks C ...
  A: Hey Cameron, Thanks for writing again. When you are sick- depending on when it is viral or ...
swollen ankle11/6/2007
  Q: How long will my ankle swell during the days, when I'm walking on it? I broke it 7 weeks ago, one ...
  A: Paula, Yes, the swelling should subside once the circulation is back to normal with walking. Try ...
Gout???10/13/2007
  Q: my husband is in terrible pain with his toe and now feels it is spreading to his ankle. His toe ...
  A: Heather, That is exactly what it sounds like and he needs to take medication...so he needs to get ...
SO SICK9/29/2007
  Q: I was wondering would you please explain to me: why do we get upset stomachs? Thanks C Barwick
  A: Cameron, This is such a general question. Upset stomachs come in many varieties. It can be from a ...
cellulitis9/27/2007
  Q: I'm going to be 56 in November and I've been sick with whatever this is for over 2 yearsn now but ...
  A: Elizabeth, You need to see a doctor who specializes in infectious disease. If they cannot help you ...
Scioliosis Screening School9/21/2007
  Q: My 12 year old daughter had the scoliosis screening done at school and returned home with a letter ...
  A: I am so sorry - I did answer this question but obviously it did not go through. I would recommend ...
Swollen feet9/19/2007
  Q: For the last couple of months or so my feet have been swollen. I am overweight and am bothered ...
  A: You mentioned you have had heart problems. I would strongly suggest you discuss the feet swelling ...
neck pain shoulder pain9/4/2007
  Q: i have had pain in my neck goes down my left arm numbness tingling.. it could get rally bad but now ...
  A: You definitely need to see a neurologist. My main concern right now would be the swelling in your ...
Chest pain9/3/2007
  Q: For 10 years now, I regularly get chest pain.It happens every day or two for a week or so and then ...
  A: You need to discuss this with your physician and maybe have an upper endoscopy to see if you have ...
Fatty Liver9/2/2007
  Q: I have all the symptoms of fatty liver,cheif of which is the inability to lose weight,an enlarged ...
  A: what you have to look forward to is a better life. The liver has a tremendous ability to regenerate ...
Shingles and FMLA8/31/2007
  Q: I'm an ICU RN who came down with shingles at the age of 32! My physician suggested I apply for FMLA ...
  A: Sharon, Sounds to me like your doctor needs to document more specific reasons why you need to be ...
hi8/25/2007
  Q: went to a doc in ny for initial visit doc drew blood and also gave b12 shot and total visti time was ...
  A: I would first start out by obtaining a copy of the charges billed to medicare. Medicare usually ...
Wrist pain after fall on outstretched hand8/7/2007
  Q: This is not another question but my computer had a problem so your answer disappeared before I could ...
  A: Sorry to hear about your computer problems........they are a pain. Unfortunately waiting 6 weeks ...
Wrist pain after fall on outstretched hand8/4/2007
  Q: I fell on my hand 7 weeks ago and still have bad pain on the thumb side of my wrist when moving or ...
  A: You are having pain that has not gone away...........you need to see a specilaist- that is only my ...
meningitis vaccine7/30/2007
  Q: I recently received the meningitis vaccine, the day after I received the shot, I woke up and the ...
  A: it is probably just the reaction from the vaccine. Remember when you get a vaccine it is really ...
Caring for a stroke vicitim7/25/2007
  Q: I have recently taken on trying to help my boyfriends mother who just had her second stroke. She has ...
  A: Deborah, You have undertaken a very trying situation and you are to be commended for your efforts. ...
hand7/11/2007
  Q: In 2004 I had surgery on my hand to remove two cysts that had made themselves part of the tendon ...
  A: My suggestion would to see the doctor that performed the previous surgery if possible. It could be ...
tiredness in legs7/11/2007
  Q: My main complaint is tiredness, mostly in my thighs going up to the hip joint, especially when going ...
  A: God Bless You ...you sound like you are doing all the right things!!! It may be a circulatory ...
Head pains7/3/2007
  Q: I'm 14 years old, and i have found that i have Really bad head pains on the left side of my head, it ...
  A: I am assuming you are a female and your low iron may be related to female related issues. If the ...
Nicotine and insurance testing6/29/2007
  Q: I am about to take a blood test for a term life insurance policy. I smoked a cigar about 10 days ...
  A: Unfortunately it does take about 30 days or so for nicotine to be out of your system. Your ...
blood pressure test6/15/2007
  Q: With regard to taking a person's blood pressure, should the cuff be wrapped around a person's bare ...
  A: To take a more accurate bp the cuff should be placed on the bare skin. This allows more accurate ...
Edema6/11/2007
  Q: I had a medicinal question. I've found as of late that my ankles have been swelling through the ...
  A: Kaytlyn, There very well could be a correlation between your birth control pills and the ankle ...
genetic testing6/5/2007
  Q: Although there are laws against it, I have heard that information from my genetic testing could ...
  A: Lynn, I have not heard anything about genetic testing affecting children. Most insurances are ...
Hardened veins5/25/2007
  Q: My 17-year old son has cancer. He has one day of chemo to complete in his scheduled series. At his ...
  A: Michelle, Unfortunately from using the veins so often they develop scar tissue. They may improve ...
anal pain5/4/2007
  Q: I am concerned about the pain I have been having on and off for a couple months now. The pain is ...
  A: Sounds like it may be internal hemorrhoids however anytime there is bleeding I recommend a doctor ...
my health , help!5/2/2007
  Q: I am a 44 year old female who on March 22 after returning to work from lunch suddenly became dizzy, ...
  A: Tammy, I am so sorry you are going through so much. Was a neurologist consulted? Endocrinologist? ...
back4/30/2007
  Q: .since last night i have had a big red mark in the midddle of my back which is really hot, its also ...
  A: Sam, You did not give me too much information such as is there any itiching or was it raised or any ...
DVT4/21/2007
  Q: My husband was diagnosed with DVT last weekend as the result of a broken ankle 9 weeks ago. The ...
  A: My answer to that is to never take a chance if there is a previous history of DVT especially since ...
help4/18/2007
  Q: I'm 34 years old and I'm not sure of this I went to 3 cardologist they said I'm find I'm worried ...
  A: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1475802 checkout the web site for burgada ...
supracondylar fracture4/14/2007
  Q: I know this is not your expertise but I hope you can give an opinion. My 5 year old daughter fell ...
  A: It is very difficult to keep a child down. The doctor put the pins to help stabilize the fracture. ...
whats going on3/20/2007
  Q: stomach and brest like im going to have a period but i already had one the 6 until the 10 of this ...
  A: Jessica, If you are sexually active anything is possible. Easy way to check it out is a pregnancy ...
alopecia areata3/12/2007
  Q: I have a friend who suffers from alopecia areata. is there any cure or treatment that's really ...
  A: The most important part of curing an illness is to find out what the cause is. You friend needs to ...
Hi Em3/3/2007
  Q: "are there any anti depressants or anti anxiety drugs that are": qucik acting, titratable, i ...
  A: This question needs to be referred to your physician.......you can ask your Dr about Lexapro which ...
Phen phen1/23/2007
  Q: I am a 37 year old male that has been treated for asthma for the past 10 years. Nothing ever showed ...
  A: Asthma has many effects on the heart. This may be the results of how your asthma has affected you. ...
Healthy guy, high BP.1/17/2007
  Q: My husband is 31 years old and has high blood pressure. In the last year, I've made him measure his ...
  A: 1. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 2. Salt can elevate blood pressure, so be aware ...
worker's comp1/16/2007
  Q: I'll try to make this brief as possible. I had gastric bypass in May 2006 and have lost 110 lbs. I ...
  A: This is a rough call. It depends on how the treating physician dictates his report. Did you go to ...
hi1/13/2007
  Q: which specialist does this and what r the side affects? is there another way to temporary eliminate ...
  A: Yom, Speak with your family physician about your history and your current concerns. He/she should ...
low oxygen12/14/2006
  Q: How does low oxygen effect your heart? does it cause palpatations or shortness of breath?
  A: Our bodies need oxygen to survive. Low oxygen levels can cause heart damage, shortness of breath ...
arythmia12/7/2006
  Q: mostly after my heart slows down from being exerted or excited. but i have been noticing sometimes ...
  A: Sounds like it may possibly be a mitral valve prolapse or an atrial fibrillation. You may want to ...
large belly12/7/2006
  Q: I am 48,in good health. I exercise and watch what I eat,and am fairly skinny except for a protruding ...
  A: Have you spoken with your doctor about this to make sure there are no physical /medical reasons why ...
test11/29/2006
  Q: I am a 37 year old woman with a swollen left ankle. I could not bear weight without having severe ...
  A: Who x-rayed your ankle and diagnosed the fracture? How long have you had the back pain? When was ...
forced on meds that might not work11/27/2006
  Q: I have been disabled for 14 years. I have health insurance under United Health Care. How can I get ...
  A: You need to speak with your doctor about this. If the medication you are taking is working and the ...
low red blood cells and body pain11/25/2006
  Q: both my mother and I have low red blood cell and chronic anemia. We pay attention to our eating ...
  A: It appears that you and your mother have a hereditary disease. You did not indicate the name or how ...
pituatary gland11/23/2006
  Q: Our grandson had brain cancer when he was 8 yrs. He's just turned 15 & has been told the radiation ...
  A: I am going to refer you to a website: www.pituitarysociety.org/ http://www.pituitarysociety.org/ ...
Atrial Fibrillation11/20/2006
  Q: I have two questions. 1. Can Atrial Fibrillation be caused by a birth defect of the heart? 2. ...
  A: I am going to refer you to a website "medicinenet.com" look for atrial fibrillation. This website ...
pumonary embolism11/17/2006
  Q: I was just diagnosed just a little over a week ago with pulmonary embolisms. I am 19 years old, not ...
  A: I am so sorry to hear about this. Birth control pills have so many bad side effects and to be your ...
hi11/17/2006
  Q: is "toxemia of pregnancy" in a 31 year old woman a reason for termination? 6 weeks pregnant what r ...
  A: NO - Please read. You are in: eMedicine Specialties > Medicine, Ob/Gyn, Psychiatry, and Surgery > ...
phlegm11/13/2006
  Q: My 95 yr.old father is constantly clearing his throat of phlegm. Never smoked, not sick, and no ...
  A: This is a commmon problem in the elderly. It may be caused from certain medications, however, you ...
chest/back11/11/2006
  Q: For over a month now, my chest has been hurting. It doesn't hurt when I breathe. It hurts in the ...
  A: I am sorry you are not feeling well. I am also very sorry that your doctor took such an "i don't ...
Pneumonia Shot(s)11/10/2006
  Q: I was under the impression that one receives a pneumonia shot and then a follow up shop every five ...
  A: Bob, I hope this answers your questions, however, you should always confirm these issues with your ...
lump in shoulder11/1/2006
  Q: I am a 51 year old woman who has suffered from shoulder pain in my right shoulder for the last 6-7 ...
  A: When it comes to lumps, bumps and protrusions I would not meant to venture a guess. You need to have ...
pain and range of motion10/31/2006
  Q: With regard to a dislocated-shoulder situation, can you tell me if there is a relationship between ...
  A: I believe you have sent me questions in the past regarding this situation. If you reach maximum ...
sigmoidoscopy10/30/2006
  Q: What is the difference between a sigmoidoscopy and a colonoscopy? Which is best for a 1st time test ...
  A: Judi, A sigmoidoscopy only allows the physician to view the lower portion of the intestine or the ...
Food poisoning10/29/2006
  Q: Is food poisoning diagnosed properly with chest xrays and partial upper body CAT scans? In other ...
  A: I don't know what symptoms you presented with. Usually food poisoning reveals symptoms of diarrhea, ...
calf pain10/19/2006
  Q: My 68 yr old mother has been having calf pain for months. She has seen several Drs., but no definite ...
  A: I am sorry to hear your Mom is having such pain. It is very frustrating to hurt and not get ...
thick white substance fcomming from vagina10/5/2006
  Q: I am 25, Some times (once in 3 or 4 months) I find some white thick substance comming from my ...
  A: This can be one of several things which you need to have checked out by your doctor. It can be ...
PASSING GAS10/4/2006
  Q: MY HUSBAND BEEN PASSING GAS FROM BOTH ENDS FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS NOW WE TRIED EVERTHING IN THE ...
  A: This is from an article related to your husband's problem. **Flatulence results from the production ...
Bile9/24/2006
  Q: My father had gallbladder surgery last year but he throws up very often this thick yellow liquid, ...
  A: Blanca, You did not say what type of surgery your father had. Did he have the entire gall bladder ...
EEG9/16/2006
  Q: Where can a person go to get an eeg for biofeedback?
  A: Most of the time your physician would have to provide you with a referral for a EEG with ...
employee death9/13/2006
  Q: We had an employee die while at work r/t a heart attack. He was 300+ pounds, never saw a doctor due ...
  A: Unfortunately I do not handle this type of claim. However I would certainly speak with your ...
Internal Gas9/12/2006
  Q: It feels like I have trapped gas. I can feeling it bubbling in my stomach and behind my rib acge. ...
  A: You did not uindicate if you are having any nausea, vomiting or diahhrea. You may want to contact ...
cholesterol9/11/2006
  Q: I'm a 64 yr. old male with high choleserol - I've been told about 30% above a healthier level and ...
  A: There has been much said about cholesterol and elevated lipids being partially due to familial ...
Fainting/Unconsciousness9/1/2006
  Q: I have a friend who often faints/goes unconscious. When she gets stressed she will pass out. ...
  A: Tracey, You present a very interesting situation. All your friend's tests are normal. You ddn't ...
Pain8/26/2006
  Q: Hope you're well. Would you be able to recommend some shoulder exercises for me please? The outer ...
  A: Without knowing if you injured your shoulder in some way I would be cautious as far as exercise. ...
Pain8/22/2006
  Q: I have RA and have had it for about 4 years. The past few weeks i have had this horrible pain in my ...
  A: Reeva, I am sorry to hear about your pain. You did not say whether you are seeing a rheumatologist ...
Bowel Movement in a toddler8/21/2006
  Q: I take care of a little girl that will be two in October about 98% of the time when she has a bowel ...
  A: I agree with you the child needs something to make this process more comfortable. Does she eat ...
hello8/18/2006
  Q: i realize it would be ahrd to answer all of this but please help me as much as you can > i ...
  A: In all honesty these are questions you need to sit down with your physicians and discuss. You ...
rapid beating8/16/2006
  Q: I DO HAVE HEALTH COVERAGE PLAN ON HAVING IT CHECKED OUT BUT WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR OPINION. I'M ...
  A: I am glad to hear you say you are having this symptom checked out. There are several reasons your ...
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and disability8/15/2006
  Q: My sister was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia 4 months ago and present treatment has not ...
  A: Mike, I am very sorry to hear about your sister. I am not sure about the medical assistance ...
Acid Reflux Disease8/13/2006
  Q: I am not sure if you can help me but I had to try. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with acid ...
  A: Melinda, This type of pain should not be ignored......symptoms can be from several different ...
h8/7/2006
  Q: if am rh negative 25 y.o. female and had on e child and the docs in us presumably know i was rh ...
  A: We cannot assume anything. Ask you doctor if he is aware that you are Rh negative. Is your husband ...
Strange Skin Rash8/6/2006
  Q: I have raised, red whelps on below my breasts and on each side of my neck. They appeared a week and ...
  A: You did't provide too much information other than you are taking BP medication (Hyzarr)and you have ...
hi8/6/2006
  Q: i am a 24 y.o female who was told that i am rh negative what r the implicashuns of this? i ahd one ...
  A: To answer some of you questions Rh negative mothers can have a child with an Rh+ man. The problem ...
ACID RELUX8/5/2006
  Q: I am 10kg or so overweight so I guess I should lose at least 10kg first. I rarely eat spicy food but ...
  A: Ten pounds is not terribly overweight. You did not give me the type of medications you are taking ...
glutten test8/4/2006
  Q: If you have been on a glutten free diet for an extended time would that influence a glutten ...
  A: When the doctor performs a gluten intolerance test, they are checking for antibodies in the blood. ...
HYPOTENSION/LEG EDEMA6/1/2006
  Q: I hope this email address is still valid. I found your information while perusing medical ...
  A: Sunny, First let me congratulate you on your overcoming anorexia. You are a very strong person and ...
Yasmin5/13/2006
  Q: I have been on Yasmin for 7 months now, and have experienced amenorrhea for the past 2 months while ...
  A: To be very honest with you the best information I can give you here is to review information over ...
antibacterial gels harmful to you?5/9/2006
  Q: I hope I'm finding you in the best of health. I saw places like Crabtree&Evelyn sell antibacterial ...
  A: Regarding your question about antibacterial gels that do not use water. Most of these ...
epidimitis5/8/2006
  Q: Is epidimitis a std, or is it somthing that men get at a certain age
  A: Epididimytis is an inflammation of the epididymis which are tubes that are located behind each ...
Ear infections5/2/2006
  Q: I recently went to the doctor to find out i have a middle ear infection. I currently taking 1500mg ...
  A: The medication should begin working within a few days. Antibiotics usually have to reach a peak ...
how to write a consent form for photographed patients?4/24/2006
  Q: I'm a dermatologist, I need to formulate a consent form for my patients to sign before I take ...
  A: Al-Ali, Just as you have a Hippa form for your patients medical information you can simply procduce ...
dislocated shoulder4/22/2006
  Q: In a typical case of a dislocated shoulder, from the day that an orthopedist places the ball of the ...
  A: The period of time for the shoulder to obtain normal range of motion depends upon the injury and ...

All Questions in This Category

Family, Internal Medicine, General Medical Questions

Diane Chambers

Top Expert on this page