Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/prenump

Question
my boyfriend and i just got engaged but him mom hates me and insits on a prenump she has him so scared he will loose everything to me we agreed the house is his in his name and his finances are in his name and his mother is afraid that if i get sick my medical bill will mount up and he will be responsible for my bills,I assured him i will sighn what he wants me to,and will relinguish him from any debt if such a medical situation would arise although I dont see how if im covered from medicare.plus i will sishn off any obligation. its about love not money..i have a medicaid set a side and will be able to appy for medicare once that money is exausted .(hurt my back in a work injury this past year.. my friend had a prenump and says its good to have i just want to put my bf mind to rest..Please help thanks in advance..Linda

Answer
Hi Linda, there is certainly nothing wrong with having a pre-nump and a properly drafted one can provide protection and peace of mind for both parties. You should, however, have the pre-nump reviewed by a Family Law attorney of your choice before signing any pre-nump so you can be properly advised regarding the rights your are surrendering or effecting based upon the language of the pre-nump.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951
Palm-Beach-Divorces.com  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

Dan Bachert