Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/amending hearing statements


I am currently separated and in the middle of a very unpleasant divorce. During the temporary hearing my husband lied many times about various issues. He does not work, is totally capable of working, has a master's degree. I have had to be the primary breadwinner for the majority of our marriage. During this hearing he was awarded an enormous amount of spousal and child custody support and I was given 60-40 on timesharing. he believes he should get full custody with me paying all expenses when all I ever wanted was to stay home and be a good mom. he refused to work. I was stuck. He is angry re the timeshare and fired his lawyer. His new one is more expensive and much more aggressive. Now all of a sudden his lawyer has informed my lawyer that my husband wants to "amend his hearing statement" and that we are not privy to the information. How can that be. Any change in his statement could possibly change the outcome of the hearing. There were many questions during the hearing re his financials that he was either vague about or not truthful. Don't my lawyers and I have a right to any and all changes to statements previously made in open hearing?

Hi Sandy, you should speak to your attorney regarding this matter. I believe you may be confusing "hearing statement" with your Husband wanting to amend his Petition or Counter-Petition, as the case may be and even if that is what he wishes to do you will still be given an opportunity to review and respond to the same.  

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.