Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Child Custory arrangments


Me and my boyfriend resentley broke up due to his abuse to my daughter (not his bilogical daughter). I am currentley pregnant with his child and due early next year. Since the baby is not born yet, can I set up a custody arrangment before the baby is born and since his abuse towards my daughter can I ask for supervised visations. He also homeless he sleeps on couches of freinds, I am not sure how to go about this. He is a very vindictive person so I could see him trying to take the baby out of state to spite me so I would like to set up an arrangment before the baby is born.

Hi Amber, you need to consult with a California Family Law attorney for a definitive answer to your question. In Florida, where my practice is located, the mother of a child born out of wedlock is considered the natural custodial parent of that child and the father has no rights whatsoever to or with the child until such time as he petitions the court to determine his paternity. As such, a Florida mother in your position needn't do anything to obtain the rights you are seeking. This however, may not be the case in California.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.