Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/ex reduced alimony


In past year ex took me to court to modify child support he was allowed to reduce from 1740 to 587 due to new laws and oldest daughter turning 18. This cost me 30000 in attorneys fee.He is once again petitioning to modify stating reduction in income.The court process began with me being served sept 11. I answered oct 3 being forced to represent myself as I have no means to fund defense. He has now decided to take it upon himself to reduce my  non modifiable alimony by 2400.00 as evidenced by shortage in October check he did pay 587.00 child support.I can't afford to live on this reduction how do I get him to abide by court order until a court date is set and judge has ruled?

File, serve and schedule for hearing a Motion for Contempt. I will assume that as a result of the last modification hearing you received a financial affidavit from him as well as production documents. If he has assets he is expected to pay his ongoing support obligations from any source available not just his income, until such time as they are modified.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.