Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Family Law/Child Custody

I have 2 children, 18 and 15, and I want to take them to Florida for a 10 day vacation. My ex is threatening to call the border and tell them to not allow me over the border with my children. Can s/he do this? We have joint custody, but s/he has chosen to exercise any of her/his joint rights, until now. S/He also does not see the more than twice a year.

Hi Tyler, I am not familiar with Canada's child time sharing laws but if it were the other way around and you were going from Florida, where I am licensed to practice, to Canada you would be free to travel with the children assuming they had the proper passports and there was nothing in the court's final judgment preventing the travel.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

Dan Bachert

I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.

Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law