Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Prenup Agreement

I'm getting married in April. We are both 60. I live in Texas. We will be married in Newfoundland Canada where he lives (and I'll be moving there).

He wants a prenup done and I'm fine with it -- the details of the prenup are more than generous for me.

I have no assets. I live on Social Security and own nothing.

My question is: Do I need a lawyer also? Since I agree with the stipulations laid out in his prenup, and I have nothing to add to it for my part, can't I just sign it in front of a Notary and be done with it?

Thank you,

Hi Barbara, you may or may not need an attorney. However, I would advise that you have an Canadian Marital Law attorney review the agreement and advise you as to what rights you may be surrendering pursuant to the agreement and what benefits you are acquiring as a result of the same. If you are not familiar with the Canadian Marital Laws then you cannot possibly properly evaluate the agreement.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

Dan Bachert

I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.

Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law