Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Step Parent Adoption

Question
Good afternoon,

I have some questions, and I don't have an appointment with my JAG office for awhile so I was hoping if you could give me an idea on some things.

Background:

I have 2 children each with a different father.They were each born in Texas and that is where the legal paperwork is through. My oldest, I had her father sign over most of his rights and made my mother and I joint conservators. My youngest daughter, I took her father to court and he pays child support. However he hasn't contacted or asked about her or even seen her in years.

I have been married 8 years now, and my husband would very much like to adopt my girls. We have talked with my oldest and she has expressed a desire for him to adopt her but she says she wants to keep my last name. Is that possible?

My youngest daughter, again, has child support coming to her but her father has given her no contact. Our concern right now is that child support money is food money for us. If we go through the adoption my understanding is that child support stops, is this correct?

Lastly, we are a military family, we currently live in virginia but all legal paperwork for both of my girls is through texas will we be able to take care of the paperwork from here or will we have to travel to texas?

Thank you so much for any insight you can give me. Have a good day.

Answer
Hi Ashley, see below:

I have been married 8 years now, and my husband would very much like to adopt my girls. We have talked with my oldest and she has expressed a desire for him to adopt her but she says she wants to keep my last name. Is that possible? Yes, the adoption petition will permit this, at least it does in Florida.

If we go through the adoption my understanding is that child support stops, is this correct? That would be correct.

Lastly, we are a military family, we currently live in virginia but all legal paperwork for both of my girls is through texas will we be able to take care of the paperwork from here or will we have to travel to texas? The state where the children have resided at for at least 6 months would have jurisdiction over the adoption petitions.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951
Palm-Beach-Divorces.com  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

Dan Bachert