You are here:

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/how can i protect my daughter from her father


my daughters father is trying to get overnight unsupervised visitation and i think he is mentally and physically unable to take care of a child who he really don't know.  he has told me about his past a having "red outs" which he says are worse then black outs. he said he has almost killed someone when having these attacks. I personally think if me having a conversation with him almost sets him off then what will it be like with him having our 2 year old around.. Can i get a protection order for her?

Hi April, you can request that the court appoint a psychologist to perform a psychological evaluation of your daughter's father. There may be a cost associated with the appointment but the court will determine which party will be responsible for the same.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]