Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Medical Reinbursement


Hi Dan,

Quick question. Per my separation agreement I have to pay 85% of the medical expenses. My ex recently started adding receipts for gas, parking expenses, vitamins and fish oil. My argument is that these are not co-pays but general expenses that I already fund with my hefty child support and alimony. As a normal recourse when I disagree with her, she is threatening me with a contempt charge etc. Is there a line when it comes to medical expenses? I already pay 85% for visits and prescriptions as well as 100% of the HMO costs. Thanks for taking the time to answer.


Hi Eric, my answer is based upon Florida law and may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. If you are ordered to pay 85% of medical expenses then you need only pay those expenses not the expenses that are collaterally incurred as a result of obtaining the medical care such as gas, parking and any other non-prescribed medicine.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]