You are here:

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Violating a time sharing agreement.


Hi I'm a little confused when it comes to family law in Florida. When an ex couple has established a time sharing agreement through mediation, but one party chooses not to cooperate, how far does the courts authority actually reach when stepping again. I mean its not like a warrant or something (in example) can be issued when in violation, or is there?

Hi Mark, it would depend upon the violation and the severity of the same. Generally if a party is found to be in contempt of the time sharing agreement the court will order make up time sharing for the party that was denied time sharing as well as attorneys fees and costs. If the contempt was severe and or long lasting the court may change the parenting plan altogether placing the children in the care of the non-offending parent for the majority of the time and finally if it is a case where a parent is not exercising the time sharing they should be (ie parent is supposed to have children 50% of the time but only shows up to exercise time sharing 25% of the time) the court can modify the child support to provide more money to the parent that has the children in his or her care more time due to the other parents failure to exercise time sharing.  

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.