Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Child Support


I received permanent custody of my son at the age of 10. My ex was in many case plans due to abuse, drug use, etc., along with 2 of her other children.
My appointed attorney never asked for child support on my behalf, as requested many times, so there is no 'court order'.
Child support enforcement was involved to the point of papers filed & then they said at final hearing with them, that they will file an arrearage affidavit, but I would have to go back to family court, reopen divorce case, and request hearing for child support - all back support - since he is 18 now.
That case is still 'reopened' & all the forms were filed in 2011, so what do I need to do to get in front of a judge to get a child support order on my ex? What forms do I file? All that are online I have done in the past already with the court.
I also been told throughout the years from Child Support Office, that they 'dropped the ball' on my case, but they never persued.
I do not have the income to retain a lawyer, otherwise I would. But I am owed 8 years of child support.
I get the run around from both courts - one saying different & to do this & do that - but never the correct information is given to me.  
I even submitted, several times, to all courts correspondence & NO REPLIES.
I reside in Pensacola, FL

Hi Charles, you would need to do discovery to determine your ex's income from the time you filed for the child support and 2 years previous to that date and also provide the court with the same for yourself. If there were medical bills you paid for the child during that same period they would also need to be provided. Once you have all of the discovery completed then file  a Notice for Trial advising the Court that you are ready to proceed with a hearing on your Petition and to schedule a date and time for the same.

I hope this information was helpful to you, if it was, please do me the courtesy of rating it. Please be aware and advised that this public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights and this answer is based solely on the information you have provided in your question and as always, I would advise that you arrange for an in person consultation with an attorney from my firm or another Family Law attorney familiar with Florida Family Law who can analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your case more closely to better advise you. Additional information may be obtained on our web site listed below.


Daniel Bachert, Esq.
The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 653-3951  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Bachert


I can respond to questions pertaining to Florida Family Law within the specific areas of Divorce, Child Custody, Child Timesharing, Alimony and Child Support Enforcement/Modification, Equitable distribution, and Inter Family Adoptions.


Actively practicing Family law in the Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie Counties for the past eleven years.

Florida Bar, Family Law Section of Florida Bar, Palm Beach County Bar Association, BNI

Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida Atlantic University; Juris Doctorate from St. Thomas School of Law

©2017 All rights reserved.