Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Domestic violence child custody

Question
My son and i were victims of domestic violence in texas. I called the cops and left the house hoping to keep my son out of danger. My friend offered to help financially so that i can b on my feet. I moved to another city within texas. My husband hired a lawyer andsaid that if i dont come backto sign the divorce papers the cops will b looking for me. So i traveled back. And he then said that something went wrong with the paperwork and that i needed to sign. When i got there he didnt let me take our children with me. He said he was going to call the cops and charge me for kidnapping. I felt pressured to sign and i didnt want to be in trouble with the law. So we agreed on equal custody. We went to his lawyer to tell him we wanted equal custody. The lawyer said that first i needed to sign a waiver of service to get started. So i signed. Then i signed temporary custody. I felt pressure to sign. I felt intimidated. I felt there was a power imbalance since i have no job or money. And i felt that if i didnt sign i could face kidnapping. I still have no money fof a lawyer. Do you think theres a chance that i could get custody of my children.

Answer
Gisella,
DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

I recommend hiring a professional attorney asap: Most lawyers will work with people to work out payment arrangements: You can get a free 1/2 free consultation to work things out and explain your case.

Yes, as long as you can prove your statements or have witnesses otherwise it is your word against his: Domestic violence issue: Did your husband ever get charged with Domestic Violence in past? During the time it was happening to you did you call police for protection?

If so then it is on record which will help prove your case, work with attorney from this point forward to gather evidence and do not move again unless you can prove it was in the best interest of the child.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

Jeff Laatsch