Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/moving children out of state



I have two children from a previous marriage. My current husband and I are considering moving out of state . We currently live in Fl. The children's dad haven't seen the kids in over a year. Would a written consent from the dad be sufficient or would we need s court approval? If we need a court approval will it be very hard to receive one?

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

I recommend you work with a Professional Attorney because in most states you must have permission of father or both parents in order to move out of state: If you can document that Dad has been absent, and file paperwork via local notification to paper you maybe able to get parental rights terminated for father.

The written consent of Dad would help, but still must go before court in order to get permission to move(in most states) check with Attorney.

You must be able to prove to the courts that it is in the best interest of said child to move. The courts must be convinced that it will be in best interest of child:  Work with Professional Attorney.

Hope this helps,

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.