Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Joint custody


I have joint custody of my 12 and 16 year old. The kids live primarily with their mother and I have visitation with no issues to date. If the mother goes out of town on business do I the father have first rights to care for the children or does the mother have rights to get alternate  care for the kids while she is away. I have been a great father to these kids with a great support  from my parents. Your thought would be appreciated

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country

In most cases Joe, the parents have the right to be first choice when other parents are out of town: In fact, the courts prefer it this way unless their are circumstances such as supervised visitation only, or some other reason that would endanger the children.

However, based on your statement I see no reason why you are not the first choice: In fact, I would write a certified letter to mother indicating that this be the choice every time unless you are both out of town.

I am not sure with your case, but if you are on good terms with Mom she should not refuse because she knows the kids would be in good hands, and safe.  If Mom gives you grief about it then contact your Attorney, if you don't have one hire one to ensure you secure your parental rights.

Hope this helps,

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.