Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Is this correct, yes or no


A woman can relocate while pregnant, and there is nothing that the father can do to stop her.

However, if she waits until the baby is born, he may be able to stop her from relocating and take her child with her, if her child is under the age of 18. This means she has to move before (not after) her baby is born.

If you move to another state while pregnant and give birth in another state, Arizona will not be able to make any orders regarding custody of your child, unless you move back to Arizona with your child.

The way child custody works in the U.S. is that the state that can make custody decisions is the child's "home state." The "home state" is typically where the child has lived for the six months preceding the lawsuit, or in the case of a child under six months, the place where the child has lived since birth. Therefore, at birth, your new state of residence would be the only state that could make decisions about custody of your child.

You will have two choices with respect to child support. You could ask for assistance from Child Support Enforcement in Oregon. If your ex has some connection to Oregon or if he gets served with court papers in Oregon, child support can be addressed in Oregon.

If your ex has no connection with Oregon and cannot be served with court papers in Oregon, child support may have to be pursued in Arizona.

However, the simplest way to do this is work with Oregon Child Support Enforcement who will work with Arizona Child Support Enforcement to get you a child support order.

If you are thinking about moving, then you should move before the baby is born to avoid legal hassles in Arizona. Dad would have to track you down and initiate child custody proceedings in the state you move to. That would be expensive and troublesome for dad, which means it is less likely to happen. If you stay here in Arizona and have the baby, then dad could establish paternity and initiate a custody suit. It would be a lot less trouble for him since you both live here.

There is no way he can prevent you from leaving right now. There is no way he could prevent you from leaving in the future. He could, however, prevent you from taking the baby with you in the future. To avoid it, you should leave now. He can't force you to come back at that point.

When parents live in different states it is pretty tough to arrange visitation for the out-of-state parent. The out of state parent tends to have very little contact.


YES: With the exception below

However, it is not (NO) "Pretty tough to arrange visitation for out-of-state parenting. The out of state tends to have very little contact":  The visitation is key to the child's success and moving forward in life.  The PARENTS must work together to create and draft up a working parenting plan for the child's best interest and it CAN BE DONE.

I am speaking from experience whereby my ex and I worked out a visitation plan for our daughter across International lines ( UK and USA). As parents we knew our duty was to ensure the success of our children:  The plan worked and we have great grown and productive adults today!

Take Care,

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]