Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/I trying to reach a goal


My dad has a power of attorney I'm challenging it to prove I can take care of myself and my question is can it be undone by a lawyer cause I just turned 25 today and I talked with a lawyer's office and all I'm trying to do is to go to my dreams I really want my independence to go to another city and state that's a bit north from me I just wanted to do what I've been dreaming of becoming a part of something bigger in this place can it be won and will it get my freedom for me to do what I want to do will it work cause I have some people I know in this place I really want to go to and I really want to win the case can someone answer that question

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

Matthew in most states when the child reaches the age of 18 years of age he is considered a legal adult AND responsible for his/her own actions.  Mom and Dad have no power of controlling him/her unless the individual is unable to proper take care of themselves: However, in these type conditions Child Protection Services or the States Department of Social Services are involved.

Now in the case of "Power of Attorney" this is in reference usually to an 'estate' whereby your Dad would have the power to make financial decisions and other decisions over the 'estate' or for example in a will of a parent (your dads parents).

I have never heard of a 'Power of Attorney' being able to control someones movements after they reach the legal age of 18, and especially at the age of 25.  Now I could be completely off base so my recommendation is that you see a Professional Family Attorney in your county/state area: Most attorneys offer 1/2 hour free consultation to discuss your case.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Laatsch  

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]