Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/divorce decree unpaid settlement


i was divorced in 2008. in the decree my ex-husband was given the house and was to pay me 10,000by july 30, 2010. if he didn't do so the house would b sold and i would receive 10,000 of the prophet. time passed and instead of selling he forclosed on the home . my question is there anything that i can do now to be paid that of should this be left alone.

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

I would recommend contacting a Professional Attorney because there maybe a chance you could sue him for debt unpaid per divorce agreement. Take all your paperwork with you from your divorce in 2008 so that the Attorney can look over the settlement agreement, just in case there is a 'clause' in your agreement stating what happens in the case of bankruptcy and/or foreclosure.

It is my understanding that when you make an agreement like that your ex had two choices: 1. to buy out your interest in said home.  2. Sell the house in which case you would have a 'lien' against said property.  In fact, you may also want to check that also to see if a 'lien' on the home is still present: if so that means who ever buys the home assumes the lien on the property outside of what is owed to the bank. Again I am not 100% on that so check with lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.