Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Child support


Hello. I am a resident of north Carolina,however, you still may be of help to me. My ex husband was paying child support 4  Our 2 kids. My son moved in with him, so I only have 1 child 2 support under the age of 18. I am not sure if I should have the order reviewed or just drop the child support. We both make the same money, but he has 2 other kids from his current marriage to support. He also carries health ins on both the kids. I don't want to risk having 2 pay myself, so what should I do? Drop the order, or have it reviewed?

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

My apologies for my tardiness in response, but I may have some suggestions for you:  In reference to your question, as you stated you both make about the same amount of money, and your ex is paying for health care for the children:  I would recommend that before you go before the courts, if you have not already done so to get a modification done, work it out with your Ex and discuss the options.

The primary reason to discuss with Ex to work this out is that going back to court for child care modification could be a bit expensive, and the money used for that could instead go towards your children:  Once you agree upon an alternative method of support for your children then simply type it out, and get the agreement notarized.  Then work from that new agreement.
For example, my ex moved to England with my twin daughters, and our youngest son moved in with Dad: We made no change to the financial end of the support agreement, but only the custody agreement so that if something came up with my youngest son living with me I could handle it immediately.

However, after your meeting if you decide you cannot work it out then go to court to get it modified so the support will be spread out evenly:  Normally support agreements are reviewed every two years, so you could put that stipulation in your new agreement if necessary.

The bottom line is that both Mom and Dad need to work together for what is in the best interest of the children.  I can speak from actual experience that working together as responsible parents for the benefit of the children works out in the long run, and the children remember it, and really appreciate it.

Hope this helps,

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]