Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Tax deduction on alimony paid


I paid one time alimony and  it is documented in the decree.It was given for her maintenance and education. I want to have alimony deductible.

I did some research and found

It mentions, "you have no liability to make the payment (in cash or property) after the death of your spouse or former spouse".

I need some clarification on that. The divorce paper doesn't mentioned anything what to do, if someone dies.

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

I am sorry but I am not a IRS Tax consultant or expert: I am referring you to a Tax expert for this answer, someone like H&R Block, etc.  I recommend making an appointment with them to find your answer.

Kind Regards,

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.