Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)/Reopening divorce case


Myself and my wife filed for mutual consent divorce in Michigan. My wife was the petitioner and she asked for 50K and I gave it as a onetime alimony.
In the decree, spousal support was not awarded and in other provisions, it was mentioned that I will pay 50k to her.
Now she wants me to pay for alimony tax that she should pay and is threatening that she will open the case.
She is saying that she can ask for spousal support.
I satisfied all conditions in decree so Please let me know , she can open the decree and cause me problems.

DISCLAIMER:  I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY: I am someone with experience with Family law matters, and can give some directions of what I would do but these are my opinions: I strongly recommend that you get an ATTORNEY who specializes in family law in your immediate county/country.

If your divorce was finalized, then in the Divorce degree there should be some statement with reference to the amount of the one time Alimony, and the decree of spousal support not being awarded, along with other provisions.

She can threaten if she wishes, but based on the information that you have stated she is responsible for the tax, not you: AND if as stated the Spousal support would not be awarded: However, I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY.

Therefore I recommend that you contact a Family Law Attorney that works in your COUNTY where you divorce was granted, and ensure that you take the final Divorce degree paperwork with you at the time of your visitation/consultation which you should be able to do for free.

I hope this helps.
Kind Regards,

Family Law (Divorce, Family Relations)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Laatsch


WA Law with respect to family court issues: order to show cause/notice of motions, establishing or modification of an order, custody, visitation, child support, parenting schedules, mediation, preparations and filings of all documents: International relocation experience: Create a win/win/win situation between Mom-Children-Dad...


Self taught and experience with working with various Court Clerks.

Masters Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.