Family Relations/Disrespectful child

Hi Dr.

I have a 13 year old daughter who is extremely mean and disrespectful to her little sister, me and her father. She calls me white trash, a bad mother, etc. She has a nice home life, we try to give our kids the best we can.  She gets to do things on the weekends with her friends but she does not want to listen and when we lay down the law and punish, such as taking her phone, banning her from the computer, she gets even meaner, it's like she doesn't learn her lesson that she cannot talk back to her parents.

Let me say that she is an excellent student, doesn't do drugs, drink or smoke, she just has a really bad attitude and we do not know how to correct it. I'm thinking that we need a therapy session with a child psychologist?

Thank you in advance for your insight.  I'm just so hurt that she is like this.  My 9 year old daughter is the complete opposite.

I am sorry to hear about your older daughter's behavior issues, I think your decision to seek therapy with child psychologist is a good start and great idea, and together can find the roots to the problems that she is having with you all.

One question, how long have she been acting up like this way?

Thank you.

Doc Jerry

Family Relations

Dr. Jerry Martin, Jr.

I will be able to answer any questions in general relation to family and children issues. Please do not ask me regards medications because I am not a medical doctor.

I have experience with the children and teens in the past 20 years.

Certified Member of American Psychological Association - and a Fellow Member of International Society of Counsellors

I holds BA degree in Psychology, Masters degree in Social Work and Ed.D. (Doctor of Education) degree in Marriage and Family Therapy.

I hold numberous awards from state and regionial agencies for excellent community service to the youth and families in the past 15 years.