Family Relations/concerned about possible inappropriate behavior

Question
I am dating a wonderful man (age 55) who has been texting with a 16 year old girl (very inocently) who he has known for 3 years and is close friends with her parents.  The parents accept this communication but I am not certain it is appropriate and am nervious that it could lead to a dangerous place.  Am I being overly concerned?

Answer
That's almost impossible to say, Kim. If I were evaluating or investigating, I would want to know what actual words were being texted, time of day and DOW, whether they had spent time together, with others or alone, how many times, where, when, how frequently, and how many minutes each time. I would think about how I would characterize the overall nature of the relationship - casual, parent-child, immature, etc. I would not dare to predict anything over the internet; but, if I was evaluating this person, and I was sure that there had not been anything inappropriate over the last 3 years, that the chances of something untoward happening were rather low. If you do suspect anything, its a good idea to get other people involved - live people, from your area.

Family Relations

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.