Family Relations/Son is disappointed


I am 55, my son is 25. Until the last couple years, I have been able to occasionally join him and his friends playing pickup hockey, football, etc.
Lately though, I just cant keep up physically, I have two bad knees and a bad back, and my heart is not in it. I feel like I am a 'retired' jock, though I do stay in shape.
The last couple times I have begged off, he has been really disappointed in me. I don't want to tell him I am just not into it, because I still kind of am, and if my back and knees improve I might go out again. I think he sees me as being 35 not 55!
I think the problem is partly immaturity on his part, but since he is on his own and an adult, I don't want to say anything to hurt our relationship.
Apart from getting a doctors note-what can I do?
Thanks and God Bless!

Hi, bud, thanks for your question. Well, our bodies just don't go like they used to, once we turn 55, do they? I don't think there is anything you can do, though, regarding physical contact sports. You could try noncontact sports, or watching him play

Family Relations

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.


questions framed similarly to 'what are some ways to respond when someone does/says X' are best. Questions posed in the form of 'why does my father do/say Y', or 'how would you diagnose my mother when she does/says Z' are difficult, if not impossible, to answer. I will probably reframe your question to fit the first question (what do I do). Nay question regarding any family member is fair game. Some of the most difficult are in the area of step-parenting and divorcing families.


I've been a licensed psychologist in Florida since 1994. I've evaluated and/or treated thousands of patients.

American Psychological Association Florida Psychological association National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology


Psy.D., Miami Institute of Psychology, 1993 M.CS., U. of Dayton, 1984 B.A., Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978

Awards and Honors
Award for Years of Dedicated Service, Palm Beach County Legal Aid Society, 1999

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]