Family Relations/Advice??

Alright so my name is Alison and I am 24. I have been dating this man, Christoph, for a year and a half now. Heís 33, and heís a bail enforcement agent (basically a bounty hunter.) I was very taken aback when I first met him, I didnít know they were actually a real thing, to be honest. He has seen a lot of scary people, been in a lot of scary situations, and he is still the most polite gentleman you will ever meet. He is charming, charismatic, and he treats me so well. He brings me home flowers for no reason, pulls out my chair for me, etc. He is wonderful. His job makes things difficult sometimes; he works a lot of long hours, and I worry about him because it is a very dangerous career. Itís worth it, though, because I love him more than anything.

Well, he just asked me to marry him, and of course, I said yes. :) I live across the country from my family, so the only person who has met him is my mom when she came to visit 5 months ago, but my parents are more open-minded than my extended family. In a couple of weeks, we are going to visit them, and I want to tell them that we are engaged, but none of them have met Christoph, and Iím nervous about it. On one hand, he is very charming, and extremely polite, so I think he will have no problem getting their approval. On the other hand, I donít know how well my family will take to his career. They are all mostly lawyers or teachers, and very conservative, while he chases down criminals for a living. I just really want them to like him. Any advice on the situation?

Hi Alison,

What's  your mom's opinion about Christoph? If she does have a positive opinion then you are two persons to convince your well wishers. You can ask your mom to back you positively. Talk to your parents and chalk out a plan how to convince the family members. There will be some opposition from family members, but I don't think that will be obstructive because, after all, Christoph earns his living by chasing criminals, not by indulging in criminal activities. When your extended family members will realize this and also that your parents are with you, they will give their nod. Therefore, go ahead with a well chalked out plan with your parents, and good wishes to you.

Shashank Shekhar

Family Relations

Shashank Shekhar Pandey

Family / Parenting / Relationships, Psycho-Spiritual Counseling, Self Esteem, Motivation, Eating disorders (Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia) Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at LivePerson

I am professionally counselling people for the last 16 years. Ask a Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at Presto Experts

Alternative Medicine and Self Improvement Center.

B.A, Diploma in psychotherapy, diploma in Yoga Teaching and Therapy, diploma in Nutrition & Health Education, degree in Pranic & Spiritual healing and Master in Reiki.
Ask an Expert - Visit my Virtual Office at LivePerson