Family Relations/Christmas/family gifts

On my sister's side of the family, I have a niece and nephew who are both married and the niece has 2 kids.  I have bought gifts for all of them and they exchange with me.

On my brother's side of the family, I have 2 nieces and 1 nephew who are married with children.  In the past, I gave the adults gifts too but they don't give me a gift.  I do buy all the children in both families gifts.

We are on a tight budget right now.. the problem is, we are having a big family get together instead of getting together Christmas day.  Is it ok to give my sister's family their gifts when my brother's side is there too..or do I need to buy everyone a gift? or couples gifts or what.  THANKS!!!!

I would suggest you simply give gifts to the kids and then a card with maybe a gift card in it to the adults. I would imagine that if you explained to your sibling that things are tight she would understand. You also could find a private time to give gifts when the other adults wouldn't know as well.

Doc David

Family Relations

Dr. David Simonsen

I am a licensed Marriage & Family therapist with a Ph.D. in Psychology. I work primarily with teens and families on a weekly basis. You will get the straight truth. I will not pull punches.

I have been working daily with teens and families for the last 10 years.

M.S. in Marriage & Family Therapy; Ph.D. Psychology