Family Relations/Got chewed out for asking about money I loaned.

Question
My 1st cousin's son (my 2nd cousin?) is 12 years old. At a family event he asked if he could borrow 20 dollars and he told me exactly when he expected to pay me back. We were at a restaurant that had an arcade, he wanted more money for the games. I lent him the money and called him the day after he said he would have the money back about two weeks later. I politely asked if he had the money, he said that he did and would give it to me on the next family event which was only a week away. I said "fine". No big deal right but an hour after that call my cousin called me. He was totally irate and asked why I was "harassing" a 12 year old for money. I called ONE time and was very polite. He mocked me saying that 20 dollars would break me because I was at a minimum wage job. He was really nasty to me, a week later comes and I try to smooth things over at the family event. He practically threw the money in my face and I never got an apology. Did I do anything wrong here? I'm not sure whether or not I should have even loaned the money.

My little cousin was at the event but he acted like nothing ever happened. His dad ripped me apart, all I did was loan money and ask about it. Should I have not loaned the money? Should I not have expected a 12 year old to pay me back? What?

Answer
Raymond,

Everything you did is reasonable. If it happens the way you describe it then the 12 year old is being raised as a spoiled brat. Let this be a lesson that just because people are family they can be just as rude as the next person.

Doc David

Family Relations

Dr. David Simonsen