Family Relations/Grandparent Babysitting

Question
Good day! Thank you for your attention to my question. I am a 55-year-old woman who babysits (3 days a week) my 3-year-old granddaughter. Inasmuch as I ADORE her, some members of my family are questioning that I ask for payment. I ask for $60 a week, which averages out to about $3 an hour. I provide everything for my granddaughter (meals, drinks, snacks, clothes, toys {TONS}, educational stuff, medicine, vitamins, etc.). I only ask for some money to help me out because I live on a "fixed" income...to supplement my fixed income, I also have an eBay business (selling vintage items that I paint), which is suffering due to 3 days of week devoted to my granddaughter (I do NOT park her in front of the TV...I actually PLAY with her...and some days it is exhausting). (I am also a licensed Minister, and watching my granddaughter cuts into time I need to devote to this, too.) Anyway, do you feel I am wrong to ask for a measly $3 an hour??? Should I be watching "Becca" for free because she is my granddaughter? I have been watching her since last summer, and during that time I have been paid for about 4 weeks in all. Again, I thank you very much for your time.
Respectfully,
Kat

Answer
Hello Kat,
Your question about asking for some money in lieu of baby sitting is wrong or right depends on the region and the culture of the place. I am from India and here no grandma would ask for money in lieu of babysitting of her grand daughter. However, in US and canada there is no such cultural barrier in asking for money. Therefore, if it is an existing norm in your place, then do not hesitate for asking the money.

Regards
Shashank Shekhar

Family Relations

Shashank Shekhar Pandey