Family Relations/relationship

Question
hi, I don't know if you can help but I'm just looking for a different perspective on a situation.  I have recently found out that my son is very probably an alcoholic and he's coming to stay with me in a couple of weeks.  My partner who I'm in a long distance relationship is also coming to stay that weekend. I told my partner I don't want him drinking while my son is there.  His response is that I'm taking away his (my partners) choice and being totally unreasonable.  I don't think i am.. am i wrong to ask that of him?

Cheers

Answer
Debra,
What kind of partner is unwilling to not drink for a period of time when asked by someone they supposedly care about. It makes me wonder if your partner also has a drinking issue. One sign of an alcoholic is that they put up a stink when asked to stop doing something that they should be able to easily stop. I don't think you are being unreasonable. I think your partner is. I don't think you are being selfish, I think your partner is. This is your son who has a possibly serious life threatening issue. If your partner is unwilling to be selfless and be concerned with you, I suggest you move on in your relationship.  

Family Relations

Dr. David Simonsen