Fantasy Books/About behaviour

Question
Hello Mrs Susan. My question is about creating your own fantasy races. What does it mean to identify or state the behaviour of your own created race?
Thank you

Answer
Hello Yed:

If you are going to create a new race, you must create for them: a history, a culture, a society and a set of behaviors. To be successful (in print, at least), these elements must be realistic, that is, based on their background -- where did they come from, what kind of place is it, how does it contrast with earth, what are the differences and how do conditions at their location influence their behavior? If they are visiting Earth, how would their attitudes compare and contrast with the attitudes of earth creatures, how they would act and react, etc. It would make things a lot easier if you could make them as much like humans as possible: a lizard/human mix, for example. They should not be so alien that readers cannot relate to them at all.

You have set for yourself a real chore, but if you are determined and willing to do a lot of research, you can pull it off.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 950 questions.

Good luck, and thank you for writing!

Fantasy Books

Susan Rand