Farriers/hoof falling off

Daniel Matheson wrote at 2011-05-08 00:16:26
We have a 2 month old calf with the same hoof problem. But the hoof has fallen off. The vet has no answer.My great great grand father started this farm and no record of anything like this.

Any ideas?

Needas wrote at 2011-09-16 01:53:07
We have just gone thru the same thing, our gelding was diagnosed with Msra.  A terrible bacteria that destroys the horse from the inside out.  The vet came out three days in a row, since he continued to get worse.  We thought he had just sprained his leg, three days later his hoof completely fell off.  It was attacking his lungs, kidney and liver.  Three days is all it took to destroy our best friend.

Devastated wrote at 2015-01-13 11:15:03
I have searched and searched the internet for exactly this same problem with my 24 year old thoroughbred, whom has for years been treated for laminitis. One month ago suddenly his right front leg was very swollen to the fetlock - heat.  Soaked in Epsom salts which after 2 days abcesses began breaking out at coronet band.  This continued and the whole area above the coronet band became involved.  He was on bute, little effect.  Almost 10 days later a tremendous amount of blood came gushing out of the coronet band and this poor little fellow was suffering from separation, his pedal bone had completely rotated and the vet advised he was about to lose his hoof completely.  I was devasted.  He was a true gentleman, not a bad bone in his body.  We were at the point of no return and I made the decision that I wish no one is confronted with to put him to sleep. His vet was very caring and carried out this heartbreaking task for him and me with great dignity.  I was there all of the time, my beloved horse just went off to 'pony heaven' so gracefully, I could not save him and would not allow him to suffer such unmerciful pain. He was 'my best friend', always will be.

Gwenyth Browning Jones Santagate

My expertise lies in Natural Equine Hoofcare. If you're looking for answers about your horse's natural hooves, I can help you. I am a professional hoofcare specialist dealing in the pathologies of the hoof i.e. Laminitis, Navicular, Whiteline Disease and others. I can answer your questions concerning pathologies of the hoof as well as "transitioning" your horse from shoes to barefoot. My emphasis is on the health of the hooves, overall.

Over 40 years of life with horses. Trimming hooves since the 1980's and professional hoofcare since 2001. I am also a trainer/teacher of horses and have been licensed as an instructor in Massachusetts since 1994. I own and operate my own boarding and rehab facility. I also have developed, written and teach Natural Hoofcare courses, clinics and seminars to horselovers from all over the world. Am trained Veterinary Surgical Assistant and Technician for both small animals and Equine. ; Trainer for 30 years.

Past 4-H Founding Equine Leader over 10 years in FL and MA. State Director of the AMBA. Past Regional Director of PPLtd.

Contributing author to the 2001 Federal Mounted Border Patrol Equine Training Manual; Local and International Equine Publications; Contributing Editor Suite 101 Natural Horsemanship.

Specific to hoofcare: Mentored under Marjorie Smith. Clinics w/Pete Ramey. Individual studies of Jaime Jackson, Gene Ovnicek, Lyle Bergeleen, Dr. R. Bowker, Dr. C. Pollitt.

Include local showmen as well as Eventers, Barrel Racers, Cutters, Hunter-Jumpers and Dressage. Pleasure Trail Riders and Rescues. Most clients are recovering/recovered pathological situations.