Farriers/right front frog/heal/sole? sensitivity

My mare is 6 years old.  She is a jumper at only 1.15m at this stage and only for 2013.  She was kept barefoot until middle of 2012 and had no problems.  As I was going to jump her I believed it was necessary to begin her with shoes.  After a few shoeings she showed soreness trotting to the right, especially on harder ground.  The Farrier adjusted the fit so it wasn't so snug and it seemed to assist.  Her right foot has a longer toe and lower heal than the left front.  It also seems that the frog is long and there is not much toe.  Farrier suggested a bar shoe to bring up the heal and she was lame the next day.  Took a week to get better with the regular shoe, but softer footing may have fooled me.  the next week I saw soreness again at the trot.  Farrier took shoe off and applied a packing with liniment etc and taped it on.  Next morning she could barely put wait on it let alone walk.  The worst yet.  I took it off this morning.  Farrier doesn't seem to know what to do.  She is a very athletic horse and could use some help to get her and keep her sound.  What would be causing the soreness?  Obviously she doesn't like pressure on her foot, but how do we fix it?  Her legs don't ever show heat or swelling, although there was puffiness this morning understandably. This problem foot is the one she always has forward while grazing and her movement is longer off the right.  I am worried if we don't fix the foot her shoulder and other muscles and joints will be effected. Any advise you can give would be appreciated.  Thank you. g

Hello G,

The first thing I would do is get your vet involved. It may be that there are internal hoof structures involved in the lameness. These can't be diagnosed by a farrier. It would seem to me that the long toe low heel would be a place to start. There are many remedies and the vet and farrier should talk to each other so they are on the same page. I can't really give you more advice than to get your vet involved. Once the vet has made a diagnosis I can tell you how I would proceed.

Paul Roberson

I can answer questions about hoof care, shoeing, trimming, diseases or lameness of the hoof. I can answer questions about horse motion as it relates to normal movement. I cannot answer any questions that require or request a veterinary diagnosis.

I have been a farrier since 1992. I served three terms as president of the local farriers association. I have conducted research into equine biomechanics.I have been an invited speaker as a subject matter expert in hoof care at youth and adult horse extension programs through the University of Tennessee. I have guest lectured horse courses at the University of Tennessee. I have presented scientific papers on equine biomechanics to the Equine Science Society, the American Society of Animal Scientists Southern Section and the United States Department of Agriculture. I have been an invited speaker at multiple horse industry associations as a subject matter expert on equine biomechanics of the Tennesseee Walking Horse.

American Farriers Journal, Voice Magaazine, Journal of Animal Science

Kentucky Horseshoeing School; Bachelor of Science in Animal Science, University of Tennessee; Master of Science in Animal Science, University of Tennessee