Farriers/contracted hoof frog is almost gone

I have a paint gelding. I bought him in September. I noticed he seemed to be slightly limping once in awhile. I had the farrier out and he said his feet were fine. I took him to the vet in November. The vet said it was thrush and told me how to treat it. I have used koppertox. He has access to 12 acres and a barn if he chooses. I feed a high quality grain and he has access to hay along with his pasture. He is never stalled. I need to know how to fix this problem for him. I don't want him to be in pain.

Hi Jodi,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. This is what else you can try. Mix sugar with povidine iodine until it is like peanut butter, pack this around the frog area. You may want to wrap the hoof with vet wrap to hold it in the hoof. Keep the horse in a stall for about 2 - 4 hours. If you don't see improvement in a few days, go with four hours. Another option is to take 3 - 4 oz of bleach and mix in a gallon of water. Use a spray bottle to apply it to the frog area 2 - 3 times a day. If neither of these work after a week get back in touch with your vet. This will help with the thrush but not the contracted hoof. If the horse has shoes and you can stop using him, pull the shoes an keep him turned out. This can sometimes help with hoof contracture. Another possibility is that there is more going on in the hoof that the vet and farrier didn't catch. Make sure you are using a fulltime equine vet and an qualified farrier. I don't know anything about who you are using so don't take this to mean you should replace them.

Let me know how it goes.

Paul Roberson

I can answer questions about hoof care, shoeing, trimming, diseases or lameness of the hoof. I can answer questions about horse motion as it relates to normal movement. I cannot answer any questions that require or request a veterinary diagnosis.

I have been a farrier since 1992. I served three terms as president of the local farriers association. I have conducted research into equine biomechanics.I have been an invited speaker as a subject matter expert in hoof care at youth and adult horse extension programs through the University of Tennessee. I have guest lectured horse courses at the University of Tennessee. I have presented scientific papers on equine biomechanics to the Equine Science Society, the American Society of Animal Scientists Southern Section and the United States Department of Agriculture. I have been an invited speaker at multiple horse industry associations as a subject matter expert on equine biomechanics of the Tennesseee Walking Horse.

American Farriers Journal, Voice Magaazine, Journal of Animal Science

Kentucky Horseshoeing School; Bachelor of Science in Animal Science, University of Tennessee; Master of Science in Animal Science, University of Tennessee