Farriers/steel shoe lasting

Question
QUESTION: Hi sir. I work in a thoroughbred racing stable. May I know how many days does a steel shoe last on horse? What about aluminum plates?

ANSWER: Hello Roberts,

A shoe lasts until it is worn out. The length of time depends on how much the horse walks or runs and also the type of surface a horse walks on. There is no standard amount of time for the use of a shoe.

Thank you,
Paul

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. may i know how to get to know that the shoe needs to be changed?

Answer
Hello Roberts,

The shoe should be replaced every four to six weeks based on the normal growth of the hoof wall. When a shoe no longer does what it is supposed to do, change it. So, if the shoe no longer provides the traction of the new shoe it is probably time to change it. Knowing when to use a new shoe comes with practice.

Paul

Farriers

Paul Roberson