Farriers/club foot in horses

QUESTION: hello sir. owning a CLUB FOOTED HORSE, a big loss to the owner?

YES... Definitely can be !!
Performance wise, there are maybe 15% that can do "normal" riding duties with proper
shoeing or trimming...generally, shoeing is a must to protect the integrity of the hoof wall
so that the hoof angle can be maintained.

Thank You !!
Joepaul Meyers,CJF

QUESTION: thanks for the answer. but, i dont understand the disadvantage of owning a horse? what problems does the horse suffer having a club foot?

The "major problem" with a club footed horse is the concussion & stress to the hoof
capsule & soft tissue !!  Because of the upright angle, generally 65 degrees or more
the impact is severe and causes trauma to the hoof capsule and limb.

The stride of the horse is also shortened because the higher heel will hit the ground
first causing an uneven choppy gait !!
After extensive training the horse will favor that hoof and most of the time will
quit or refuse to go on.

Best to You !!
Joepaul Meyers,CJF  

Joepaul Meyers,C.J.F.

With over 40yrs. as a Certified Journeyman/Master Farrier, I have taught at the Univ.& Trade School levels. My specialty is Veterinary Farriery, Lameness and Therapeutic shoeing.