Female Masturbation/Girl & Boy Masturbation

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

If I understand correctly, girls can masturbate before boys. If this situation is true, how is this possible? And also, what age can girls start to masturbate?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Both genders can masturbate before puberty.  However, relatively few do.  (Masturbating is defined as stimulating one's own genitals for the purpose of increasing sexual arousal; so if a person is merely touching their privates without that purpose, they are not masturbating.)  But back to your question.  It happens that more pre-pubescent girls than boys masturbate.  This is the only time in life that more females than males are masturbating.  

Of course, I suppose you already knew that females reach puberty about a year before males.  But even so, it takes a long time after puberty before most females are masturbating.  Most males start masturbating within a year of puberty if they had not already started before.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you, Doug, for the great answer.  I am curious to know why it takes a long time after puberty before females masturbate as you indicated above. Is there a reason for this situation?

I thank you once again for your great reply and for your follow-up reply.

Answer
Male masturbation is accomplished fairly mechanically.  Most males can masturbate to orgasm easily the first time they try.  Female orgasm is often more conditioned on another person's touch.  It takes longer for females to have orgasms from masturbation.  Some of this is because the female genitalia are not as accessible, and some of it is in the girl's mind.  Female masturbation, especially for the uninitiated, is not as much about mechanical stroking as it is for a male.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

Female Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.