Female Masturbation/orgasm isn't really enjoyable

Question
I have been masturbating my entire life (I remember doing it all through my childhood.)  Most of my life I masturbated in a prone position against a pillow.   I stopped masturbating in that position about a decade ago.  I find both clitoral and vaginal stimulation to be enjoyable, and I think I have orgasm'd because I've experienced rhythmic muscular contractions.  However, I've never felt "warm all over" or had a feeling of ecstasy or really any other sensation that I would describe as orgasmic - its just like a few muscular contractions around my genitals and then my arousal shuts off. Sometimes there are NO muscular contractions but just suddenly I am done being aroused. Somehow I think I'm really missing out on something.  Any advice?
I am still a virgin, but I am now engaged.  I want to be able to have an enjoyable sex life once I am married.

Answer
Masturbating is normal, healthy, and fun, but the prone position is a cause of sexual dysfunctions in males and has been suggested as a cause of sexual trouble in females.  It's good that you've given up prone masturbation.  

The experience of orgasm varies somewhat from person to person.  Not everyone gets a "warm all over" sensation at the point of orgasm.  It would be good if you could relax at the point of orgasm and try to enjoy the feeling longer instead of reacting.  

Since you have been having orgasms from both vaginal and clitoral stimulation, I think the prospects are very good for you being orgasmic in intercourse.  Good luck with becoming a non-virgin!

For more information about the dangers of prone masturbation, see http://www.healthystrokes.com.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

Female Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.