Female Masturbation/I enjoy masturbating in the open

Question
I am an 18 year old girl. I am originally from Pakistan but currently living in the States for the past 3 years. In Pakistan I was brought up in a religious household and went to a girls only school. I was taught early on by my mother that masturbating is a sin against god. Once when I was 12, she had caught me masturbating and had beaten my fingers severely  with a wooden ruler. I had stopped attempting to masturbate after that. Even though I felt the urge to do so many times I always diverted my mind to other thoughts whenever I felt the need to masturbate.

When I came to America one of my friends in my school tried to reduce my worries about masturbation saying that it is a normal healthy practice. I tried masturbating but I always felt somehow dirty while thinking about sex or rubbing my genitals. I was unable to reach orgasm and always felt more unsatisfied afterwards.

Recently though I have found out that one of the things that makes me aroused is a form of exhibitionism that I discovered. Which is simply wearing a skirt or a dress in public. Most women won't even consider that exhibitionism but when you grow up in Pakistan where women have to wear the Salwar Kameez and a headscarf, wearing a garment without a partition for the legs feels like what  wearing a swimsuit feels like for most western girls. I am not allowed to wear one by my parents but I change into it at a friends house.

Just a few days back I wore a knee length pleated skirt that my friend gave me and as I walked wearing it just on a whim I went to the restroom and removed my panties. As I walked in public wearing a skirt without panties I felt a surge of arousal. I felt that everybody was looking at me but when I actually saw their faces nobody was actually staring at me. So I sat down on a park bench and as I crossed my legs I felt the pressure sort of increasing between my legs and as I focused on it I felt a surge of pleasure which I can only describe as an orgasm. Afterwards I think I must have left a wet spot where I sat.

In the days that followed I tried masturbating myself in the privacy of my home but was unable to get enough stimulation and rubbing my own fingers in a sexual way over my vagina still sort of felt disgusting. It seems the only way I can get aroused is by wearing a skirt or being at the risk of exposure in public. Can you please tell me how do I get over this and learn to masturbate in the privacy of my home as well?

Answer
You need to start by giving yourself permission to masturbate.  Masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and most females practice it after puberty.  What your friend told you was correct.  There is nothing wrong with enjoying wearing a skirt.  Many people practice a form of exhibitionism with the swimsuits they wear (or don't wear!)  Sunbathing is actually bad for your body, and the reason many people do it is to show off their bodies in public.  Some people get aroused doing that, and it leads some to masturbate.  Fortunately for you, females can masturbate by tensing their legs the way you do and no one notices.  I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it, but it's certainly better to masturbate with your hands in private where you can take your time and really enjoy it.

Female Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.