Female Masturbation/Hi.

Hi. I am a 15 year old, and I have only masturbated a handful of times. I come from a community where it's not really even mentioned in passing by anybody, so I am woefully under-informed on the subject. What I would like to know is, are there any long term health problems that come with masturbating. Or any loss in attention span or memory? Also, does masturbation affect the menstrual cycle, and does masturbation during a period increase the flow? Thank you in advance. :)

Hi Angela! Great questions!
To your body, masturbation is the same as sex. Since sex is a natural activity the body is made to do, no, masturbation is not unhealthy in any way nor does it have any long-term negative affects on your health, attention span or memory!
Often, masturbation provides positive benefits by helping us relieve stress, helping us focus, and helping us learn about what our bodies need and how we like to be touched.
I've not heard of conclusive evidence that your menstrual cycle could be affected by masturbating, but I can tell you that I had a friend who swore that masturbating actually stopped her menstrual cycle. I suppose it differs from woman to woman.
Have fun and enjoy yourself!!

Female Masturbation

Ashley Morgan

I will do my best to answer your questions about female masturbation, including what healthy masturbation is or how it can become unhealthy, when you should consider masturbating with others and when that may cross the line to sex, and how to handle masturbation in your family whether it's your parents, siblings or children

I am a Master's Student in Developmental Psychology and have focused most of my classes and research on healthy sexual development. I have helped younger siblings, friends, cousins and now my pre-teen daughter embrace masturbation and safe sexuality in a healthy and vibrant way.

Church organizations, a counseling/soup kitchen volunteer organization and several teen puberty forums where I hope to offer advice

Class-specific college writing on Developmental and Sexual health

B.A. in Psychology at an Indiana University. One year of Masters classes.

Dean's list, 8 semesters.

Family (siblings and my daughter), friends, cousins, and those I've met online