Female Masturbation/Female Nocturnal Experiences

Question
Hello:

I was somewhat surprised to discover that females experience nocturnal erections similar to what men experience. I'm not sure what the precise term that is used.  I am curious to know whether or not females notice this experience in their genitalia as men obviously notice.
Do women feel an enlarged clitoris and other sensations of their vulva?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
The proper term would be nocturnal arousal.  This phenomenon hasn't been studied as much as wet dreams in males, which is itself an understudied phenomenon.  Many females report waking up and being already in a state of arousal.  Some females use this as an opportunity to masturbate to orgasm easily, while others just go back to sleep.  If they don't wake up, I doubt they will remember an engorgement of the clitoris.

You can learn more about male wet dreams at http://www.healthystrokes.com/wetdreams.html.

Female Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.