Female Masturbation/GYN visit

Question
Hey Doug,
I went to my annual GYN appointment today during my appointment we talked about my sexual history, how I masturbate and using different period products and checking boobs for cancer.  During my exam, she asked me to show her how I masturbated and I showed her how I circle around my clit.  I did that for a little bit and when I was close to it, she stopped me and told me to rub up and down the full length of my lips.  I felt a bit different than my usual method for masturbating but I was able to reach an orgasm.  This was my first time at this GYN, I use to have a guy but he moved away.  He never was this way with me.  Do GYN's normally want their patience to masturbate in front of them?  I don't mind just thought it was kind of different than what I am use to.  I started seeing GYNs since I turned 13.

Answer
No, that is pretty unusual.  She seems like a very thorough doctor and you should be happy to have her.  Too many doctors just rush you through the office and aren't interested in helping with sex therapy.  I don't know why she'd rather you masturbate vertically than in a circle; many females use the circular motion.  I don't think there's anything wrong with you if you do.  You might have asked her why there's a difference.

I would be all in favor of more doctors (including primary care) asking their patients how they masturbate so dysfunctional methods (such as masturbating prone) can be avoided.  

Female Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.