Female Masturbation/Hymen

Question
QUESTION: Hello
Is it normal if I am not able to see my own hymen. I emailed you previously, my doctor told me it was intact. But is there a reason I can't see it?

ANSWER: The hymen is an internal structure.  It cannot be seen by its owner without a mirror and sometimes more than one mirror.  Some females can do it by lying down very close to a mirror and holding their labia open.  For best results, doctors use an instrument called a speculum.  To get a better idea of what the hymen looks like, see http://www.healthystrokes.com/hymengallery.html.

QUESTION: I can't see my hymen at all. I know it is intact bc my GP told me so. But when I tried to visually see it, all I see is this tissue that goes from under the clitoris to the bottom. I can't even see the vagina opening at all due to this tissue. Is the hymen under it or behind it? It doesn't look anything like the images in the gallery you attached.

Answer
If your doctor told you the hymen is intact, then you should take his or her word for it.  You can't see it any better than the doctor can, and if you did, you might not be able to evaluate it correctly.  Your doctor gave you a full report on your hymen, which is more than most females get from the doctor about the hymen.

Female Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.