Ferns/Rose of Jericho

Question
I have a rose of Jericho plant. I was told that after a rose of jericho has opened the water cleaned, it should kept submerged it water at all time and the the water only need to be replenished, not changed (probably the reason theirs looks dead).  It started out with a bright shade of green. But now is a dull green. I have done some research and found out that the water level should never cover the plant and water changed weekly.
Okay so herems my question. Can the rose ever become bright green again? If I let the plant dry out for several weeks and then resurrect and care for it properly will it be bright green again?
Does the plant actually grow that I may hop for new shoots?

Answer
James hi;

I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability.

However, regarding this particular plant, I do not have first hand experience and am basing my answer on professional literature.

First, there are, unfortunately, several distinct plants that bear the common name 'Rose of Jericho'.

The one commonly found in the arid Southwest is a fern-like moss known as Selaginella lepidophylla or resurrection fern.  It comes as a brown stringy lump and has no flowers. Indeed, it can be 'resurrected' over and over again.  To my knowledge, it should not be submerged over a prolonged period of time.  Simply water daily for a week or so.

In order to get the plant vibrant again, you should allow it to dry entirely for a few days and then re-hydrate as before.  This can be repeated many times.

The other 'true' Rose-of-Jericho is a flowering plant called Anastatica hierochuntica. It comes from the deserts of Israel and North Africa.  Like the Selaginella, it can be 'resurrected' multiple times and, indeed, will have a better appearance when allowed to dry completely every now and then.  In addition, this plant will bear tiny white flowers whose seed may germinate and provide the semblance of new growth.

In both cases, truly new growth is unlikely on a detached plant.

I hope this answers your concern.  Perhaps you may choose to split the plant and attempt to dry only half if you are concerned about losing it.

DC  

Ferns

Dan Carmi