Ferns/STAGHORN

Question
HI

Just wanting to know if a staghorn can regrow, I have nurtured Elle this is what we have named her for 26 years and recently we moved from Perth to Karratha. Unfortunately Elle did not really survive the trip. I have noticed that she has since detached herself from the board that she was attached to I have been and got sphagnum moss and put this behind her and reattached stockings so she is more secure and laid her base directly on the ground. This was about 3 weeks ago and she still does not look like any sign off life.

Leanne

Answer
Leanne hi;

Are you able to send me some photos of Elle, before and after the trip?

If you believed she had perished, what would have been the cause?  Lack of water, lack of light?  Perhaps she had come physically detached from her roots?  Or has she been afflicted by pest or disease?

All these questions are critical in assessing her survival chances.  

Generally, staghorns are very persistent and quite likely to recover from even the most dire circumstance.

However, it may also be time to think about detaching any of her offspring and remounting those (by ways of division), if there are any parts that still look green and lively.

In short, I would need a bit more information to provide an adequate answer.

Thanks;

DC

Ferns

Dan Carmi